Monday, July 20, 2009

They Ran Through The Briars, And They Ran Through The Brambles...




At the wedding reception, there were loads of different little enclaves of people that I really didn't know that well. Mandy's In-Laws, people from her work, Seans friends, ETC. I also had a vast amount of folks that did not know a lot of other people. My college buds, my work buds, cousins, ETC.
Needless to say, making the rounds, entertaining old Aunts and Uncles, and making your friends feel at ease, Mandy and I really didn't see a whole lot of each other that day and night. Since this was a party on a shoe string, there was no band OR DJ.
But Sean is a very talented young man when it comes to computers and music, and he pieced together about 8 hours of music that was very special to him and my daughter.
Of course we are of different generations and interests, and there is only so much Weezer, 'Emo', Moby, Czech music that I could take. But it was THEIR night so I just went with the flow. But at one point, late in the evening, I noticed that the music got a little louder. My Daughter made it a point to seek me out and say.."Daddy, these two next songs are for you", and winked.
These songs were Johnny Horton's "Battle of New Orleans", and "Rocky Racoon".
Let me tell you something, out of all the moments that her and I have shared at graduations, recitals, concerts, airports, her wedding...This moment touched me the most, and I had to be alone for a few moments...
When Mandy was a little girl, I would tuck her into bed. I think most parents would read to their children bed time stories, but she would have none of that!! She wanted me to sing to her so she could fall asleep. I can't sing for shit, but I did know two odd-ball songs by heart that she really liked...The Battle of New Orleans, and Rocky Racoon. I didn't feel like boring you with 2 video songs, but this version of Rocky Racoon is kinda cute....Enjoy.
..."He said Rocky you've met your match, and Rocky said Doc it's only a scratch. And I'll be better Doc as soon as I am able".

They leave for Prague Wednesday at 3...

I don't know about this one either....

Peace...!!!

18 comments:

secret agent woman said...

My reader says ths was posted "seconds ago." I used to sing, also with no talent, to my kdis at night. Kids are not critical of singing voices, thankfully.

Lou said...

Some of us weave memories with the Lord's Prayer, some of us with Rocky Racoon..:)

javajazz said...

thanks for making me cry...
sheesh, Rocky...!!
sweet.
xo

snowelf said...

Awww..that is SO cute. I love how songs can be so incredibly special...

One of the babies in the video looked so much like Prof Shorty, he asked if it was him! :P

I used to sing to my kids too. Usually it was "I don't want to live on the moon." from Sesame Street.

Many hugs and love, Galen.

--snow

Mona said...

O Dear, you remind me of a time when my little boy would not only make me sing at his bedtime, but also for his meals and while he did potty!

I was like an FM radio at that time I swear!

((HUGS)) to Galen & family!

Mandy looks radiant!

Serena said...

What a sweet story. Little kids don't care how well you sing; it's the effort that counts. She'll always think of her daddy when she hears those songs.

lime said...

i also am a talentless singer who lulled her wee ones to sleep like that. i welled up about a year ago when my oldest told me that when she was little she thought my voice was like an angel. of course she chased it with, 'but then i heard people who could really sing well."

anyway, i am so glad mandy gave you such a special gift in that way. those two songs will have special meaning for both you of your whole lives. and just think, maybe one day the two of you may sing that to her babies.

clean and crazy said...

awe you have me tearing up. i sing "you are my sunshine" and "you are so beautiful to me" to my babies, this is so awesome, you are such an amazing daddy and she is so lucky to have you there to walk her down the aisle.
although i do read to them at night as well now. it makes bed time much easier and they really enjoy it, and so do i. but i sing these songs to them a lot.

Anonymous said...

Excellent Rocky Racoon. What a wonderful tribute and sounds as if it was a blast. CONGRATS!

Akelamalu said...

Aw how thoughtful of your daughter. Your singing obviously made a big impression on her! LOL

the walking man said...

I may have sung to my kids when they were sleeping but it would have been hard to sing a symphony without an aria in it. I knew I should have memorized show tunes...naaaaa

Jessie said...

that's a sweet and tender story. i sang to my olderst (daughter now, oh dear God, almost 25!) and read to my son (17) -- that's what they wanted. it's a touching moment when your kids remember a "close" time and then share it with others, when they continue on their own journey in life.

i wish them well ...
smiles,

Jessie said...

p.s. loved the video and song!!!

Tall Kay said...

The love of a father for his daughter is such a precious gift. You got my gut strings with this one.

And don't ever double dog dare me!
(re: chocochip oatmeal cookies)

listen for azure said...

The best part is that she wanted to share that with you on her very special day. Now THAT is a fabulous dad!

I always sang to the kids and they love music now, mostly because I love it, too.

Rocky Racoon is an all time fave of mine!!

buffalodick said...

I know both those songs too! If my sons ever marry, I believe they will play "Margaritaville" for the old man who is their father...

S said...

Very sweet. What a special weekend you have had.

My girl turns 13 this year. She is now taller than I am. I can hardly stand it.

Goes too fast.

Congratulations, Pa!

Anonymous said...

Getting a topaz ring as links london jewellery jewelry gifts from better-half is no lower than an awesome joy. discount links of london bracelets Many ladies do admire such jewelry sparkling through charms links of london their fingers. If you may get to own one as gift, links of london silver watches you will definitely appreciate such beauty and elegance for high class cheap links of london necklaces type of jewelry. Those who know what the actual worth of gemstones will links london pendants certainly love to have one added into their collection.