Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Thursday Portrait.....






Bonjour Mes Amis....
As I said on Monday, I have a 'Theme' going on all this week, and now is the time to reveal.
Flint might be the NUMBER ONE city in America for murder and violent crime...YAY!!!!!!
BUT....We still have a bit of culture floating around these parts. Until December 30, The Flint
Institute of Arts has a Toulouse-Lautrec exhibit going on, and I had to go visit last Saturday.
It was wonderful, informative, and very colorful!! As I've alluded to with the previous posts,
the drink of choice with many of the late 19th and early 20th century 'Impressionist' artists was
Absinthe, or as it was known as "The Green Fairy". I'll get into the history of Absinthe at a
different time, but the exhibit did bring back some fond memories of my meeting the Grandson
of Toulouse-Lautrec a few years back. Unfortunately he was also smitten by The Green Fairy, only
he was so far gone that he didn't bother with the slotted spoon/sugar cube ritual, he slugged down
the shit right out of the bottle!! He periodically emerges from rehab long enough to show up at
some of these exhibits around the world, his name is...Footloose-Lautrec.
See you all Thursday Evening 8:00 PM EST.

8 comments:

Mary said...

I enjoyed the bit of culture I found at your site today, Galen. The Green Fairy sounds like powerful fare...

TALON said...

Oh, those wicked wicked Fairies! :)

Sounds like a really interesting exhibit, Galen. And Footloose-Lautrec has got to be the most interesting exhibit of them all!

Perchpike said...

Nicely done.

the walking man said...

Galen A man of culture and class amidst a sea of green fairies. You know Absinthe is legal again in the USA at about $75 a bottle. No real amount of wormwood in it though.

hedgewitch said...

Yer killin me with the Lautrec punz,G. I love your theme, love the Impressionists, Lautrec, and your photoshop skillz, have never had absynthe but maybe someday. Wish I could see that exhibit, but will see ya later, mon ami vert.

Margaret said...

My daughter had a Moulin Rouge by "foot"louse Lautrec in her bedroom for years (now it's at college with her). That photo is quite impressive…

Fireblossom said...

Are you sure he isn't just Kenny Loggins?

Anonymous said...

So cool, Galen! Love your portrait! k.